Data is a very important element in the entire Internet that can be used to find dirt or identify the activities of anyone. That is why it is so valuable and needs to be protected from cyber-attacks. Data leakage can lead to the complete bankruptcy of a company, which is why it is so important to take care of reliable protection of valuable information.
Virtual Data Rooms were created specifically for this purpose and in this article, we will tell you how exactly VDRs protect your information.
Why VDRs are used for secure file storage
Virtual data rooms are a unique online space that allows you to upload, store and share your company’s sensitive data in a completely secure environment. Besides business and finance, such repositories are heavily used in accounting, law, litigation, and medicine, but still, their most popular use is associated with M&A transactions, which means it perfectly supports secure file sharing outside of the company.
Data rooms are now at the peak of their popularity and have completely replaced the old physical storage that was inflexible, cumbersome, and wasteful. They are easy to use, yet very efficient, and help you deal with many business management processes.
Virtual data room security features worth looking for
Any virtual data room offers security services, but it’s important to understand what kind of security will be most effective. Below we have described some of the features that should be present in your dataroom:
- Compliant with ISO 27081 – This means that the VDR meets standards for protecting important information. ISO 27081 is one of the best choices when securing a storage system
- Has strong encryption methods -With encryption, the software encrypts all of your data both when stored on the network so that even if an intruder tries to steal your valuable document they can’t decrypt it
- Must use digital watermarks -this is a very useful feature that helps prevent illegal copying of information. They can be applied to both text and audio or video, and they help see who has used or downloaded data from the cloud
- Has comprehensive settings for document permissions and viewing restrictions – Document access control is extremely important for protecting your data. with it, you can revoke access to a user or partner at the end of a project or transaction, and only allow access to those you deem necessary so that no unauthorized person can see what you do not want them to see
- Uses two-factor authentication – this means double password protection which greatly reduces the risk of password theft. With this feature, when you log in, the program can ask you for more information about yourself or a special code. Statistics show that the use of two-factor authentication is much more efficient and allows you to keep your data under the most secure conditions.
- PIN Recognizer – if this feature is present in VDR, the administrator (the owner) can see the location of all the users and send a security alert to your mailbox in case of suspicious logins
How to choose a safe virtual data room
Follow these points to find a decent VDR:
- Detail the VDR features on the provider’s website
- Check reviews and ratings from other users
- Make sure the program interface is as simple and straightforward as possible
- Make sure that all services are available at no additional cost
- Test your VDR with the free trial version